<$BlogRSDUrl$>

samedi, octobre 08, 2005

Mon Age D'or

My Golden Age.

I used to love school. That might be a bit too much to believe coming from a guy who skipped school for a whole bloody month without the slightest twinge of remorse, but it's true. There was a time when I actually woke up excited to get to school -- groggy and still wishing I could have five more minutes in bed, but excited. That's not even considering that when I say waking up, I mean waking up at 5.00am every morning just so I could catch my school bus.

If you think I'm some freak who loved going to school to worship that heathen god called Education, think again, buster. For better or worse, I've always prided myself on my independence when it comes to studying. That's not to say I don't like learning from my good tutors; I've just had too many inept and completely boring tutors who could never consider that they were the reason why no one was listening. I've had to study so much from clunky, sleep-inducing textbooks on my own that it's becoming a habit; if I can't stay awake when my tutor is droning on and on without ever getting to the goddamned point, I just let my head hit the desk and study it later when I get back.

It's my friends that kept me going to school, you fools. I loved going to school not because I could learn but because school to me was just hanging out with my classmates for six hours everyday -- a brilliant deal. I don't remember a single day of my last two years of secondary school when I didn't laugh so much and so hard in school that I'd still be chuckling to myself the rest of the day. Man, we did so many wild things together, I'm smiling just thinking about those days. It was our Golden Age, our Zaman Kegemilangan, as we called it.

Those were days when I hated to miss school. I remember being too ill to go one time and I nearly tore my hair out the next day when I heard all the madness that had gone down in school while I was at home. I swore I'd never miss another day of secondary school again -- unless, of course, we'd all decided to hit a LAN centre together to play some Counterstrike or Warcraft III the whole day.

Damn. I really miss those days.

I was rereading Anthony Bourdain's A Cook's Tour the other day, about how he went back to France and his old childhood haunts with his brother looking for the perfect meal when he'd actually been looking for his late father all along. And it struck a chord with me: I came to Singapore looking for new experiences and learning new things like cheerleading, hiphop, and ballet when I've actually been looking for my old class. I've been trying to recapture those days of our Golden Age, our Zaman Kegemilangan Chinatown. I've been looking for another Kelvin P.Raider, another Father Edwin, another 5 Vega. I hadn't come to Singapore because I wanted to leave all my old friends to make new ones and learn to be independent when I already was and try new things when I didn't need to. No. I came because I was still searching for a memory of time quite beyond me now. I'd had a lot of fun in my old pre-university centre back in Kota Kinabalu, lots of stupid, wild adventures with my partners-in-crime, Wilson and Karthik (and more recently Robert, the German-who-wants-to-be-Malaysian), but in the end it wasn't really all that hard for me to leave. I'd not found that elusive ideal, and I was willing to start again and try to find it in Singapore, even if I had to spend another two years on my A-levels.

I'm quite sure my Singaporean readers are snorting now. Your Golden Age? Here in Singapore? Are you serious? Please wait while I laugh until my intestines burst.

But it's true. I was willing to travel the world to find those days again, even if I didn't know what I was really trying to do. And I came up empty after nearly two years. It was only in these past two weeks, basking in post-Preliminaries hedonism with my classmates -- enjoying a class barbeque together, book shopping, watching movies, playing Defense of the Ancients -- that I finally found what I've been looking for.

It wasn't exactly my Golden Age -- it was only close to those days when we just played and played and forgot about everything else. But it felt right. It felt like I was seventeen again, with Father Edwin and Kelvin and the rest of the Chinatown gang, just living our lives without a care in the world.

No, it wasn't the same. But it still felt right.

It's only now when I think about it that I understand. I understand now that deeper under my search for my old secondary school days is something else completely.

Life will not be school forever; what I'd been looking for wasn't really my old secondary school days, but something less concrete than that. I'd been looking for happiness, the kind that comes not because I've got a really cool cellphone or I just went on vacation to Las Vegas (though I'd still like those) but the happiness that comes when you look forward to each day because you know it's going to be an exciting day full of fun and laughter, a day you know you'll never want to miss, that you'll never want to forget.

You can't force these days to happen. You can't go around planning outings and movies and picnics and dinners, hoping it will make life a lot more fun, hoping it will 'bond' people together. Planned outings don't work very well. Like Bourdain, who'd recreated his childhood days to eat his oysters and fish soup to, you're trying too hard.

It has to be natural. When you try too hard, it never quite lives up to your expectations because you've expected perfection when nothing in the world can quite catch up with an expectation that just keeps growing further away whenever reality comes close. Like Tyler says in Fight Club, "Stop trying to control everything and just let go."

It's days when you let go that life becomes truly exciting. There is no perfection to meet -- it's just pure unscripted fun and nothing else. When it happens, it makes the day special unlike any other.

It's how your heart races when the Vice Principal stops his car next to you and asks what you're doing walking out of school. It's how you just decide to screw the Chemistry test on the spot so you can finish that round of Defense of the Ancients and end up playing six hours of it when you'd only planned to play three. It's how you skip school, get a phone call to get your ass back to school so the class can finally take its damned photograph, only to end up leaving immediately after with your classmates to watch Star Wars III: Backstro -- Revenge of the Sith. It's how you equally decide to blow the rest of the day and go watch Resident Evil II on a whim a week before your Promotionals. It's how you laugh when someone's shoe somehow ends up in a base's mouth halfway during cheerleading practice. It's how you somehow end up on television practicing stunts in school when you're just innocently minding your own business.

It's how you wake up, see your roommate sleeping, and go back to sleep instead of getting up for school, only to have him wake up, look at you sleeping, and go back to sleep too. It's how you both end up keeping Sophia company on her last day in Singapore because of that mutual interdependence, something you'll never forget even if it doesn't mean much anymore these days. It's how you fib to the director of the boarding school that your classes ended early when he probably knows all too well you're accompanying her out on her last day.

It's how you only planned to spend an hour writing this post -- and end up spending five.

It's how you think back on these days, on all those days past when something unexpected happened that made them beautiful, and smile to yourself. And as you smile, you reflect that it's good to be alive.

Commentaires: 11

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonyme, @ 5:21 PM, octobre 08, 2005  

Golden age? I think I'm one of those laughing my intestines out. There's not much life here to talk about golden age man. Though, i have to comment that I do agree about that shit about stunts and getting on TV, as well as KK eating shoe incidents. How can we forget the good memories of MR. HOFEI and his wonderful lessons of muaythai and unzipped pants. Indeed, cheerleading has lived up to its purpose, not to lead people in cheers (which i think the council needs lots of work to do just that), but to bring cheer into our lives. I'm sure you would agree as well. Though there were times that things get really shit and the circumstances look very gloomy, yet there will always be a silver lining somewhere to be found. There isn't much time left in this shithole. But I wanna thank you for introducing me to cheer, to us, and to the team.

Blogger byRAN, @ 7:23 PM, octobre 08, 2005  

It's been real tough going, dude. You did a damn fine job keeping it together this year, even if things are now out of our hands.

Whatever happens, just take the past as the past and learn from it. It's the best we can do.

Anonymous Anonyme, @ 8:50 PM, octobre 08, 2005  

Maybe you should retitle this post to "My Golden Age ...for now". ;)

Blogger byRAN, @ 9:51 PM, octobre 08, 2005  

Come now, Wil. I still need to delude myself a bit more haha.

Are you ever gonna tell me what happened with Shanghai or not? That sensitive, huh?

Blogger silentL!, @ 12:16 AM, octobre 09, 2005  

it's interesting that despite your appearing to be broad-minded, you're not quite that in this post. venturing into a new place in search of something you've found and liked in an old place just won't work, i'm sure we've all learnt by now. it's the rigidity of human nature, the subconscious preference for secure familarity (you're very much human even though you'd love to be the whackiest one). but i'm glad everyone has found something about themselves, about life. =) mug on, don't stress ya.

Blogger byRAN, @ 12:28 AM, octobre 09, 2005  

Yeah. I didn't realize how much I'd missed my old secondary school days until a few days ago too.

But while I never found those days again (nor do I expect to), I'm happy. Life was getting a bit too routine back home. I was bored stiff too except for my MCing stints since my pre-U centre didn't think we needed CCAs.

Here, I've had cheerleading, dance, pre-U seminar, orientation... Too many to remember. Each of which is full of individual memories I'll treasure forever.

But I'm that kind of person that needs excitement and fun. Or else I'm not gonna spend time on it. What to do, take it or leave it haha.

Anonymous Anonyme, @ 11:44 AM, octobre 09, 2005  

What? I haven't told you yet? It's not sensitive at all. Just a long story...haha. To cut it short...didn't like where I was heading, got bored of sitting in front of the pc in the office most of the time, missed my retail environment and came back to something I knew was the perfect choice in the first place. And I'm loving it back in KL. I'm a lot more focused with what I'm doing because it's, I quote u, "exciting and fun" ...for me at least. Miss the partying scene in SH though...hehe..but that can wait for a bit. So thats really all there is to it.

Btw...any change of plans after A-Levels or issit still the same as what you told me the last time?

Blogger Applegal, @ 1:03 PM, octobre 09, 2005  

You forgot to mention how your class would monopolise the pisang goreng from the canteen on certain days, until stocks finished and the rest of the school had to go without pisang goreng or beg for some from your class.

I don't know why I can remember junk like this, but I also clearly remember seeing a bunch of your classmates playing a pirated version of Magic: The Gathering with white pieces of paper because your previous stack was confiscated at school.

Hah, you people were a real riot XD

Blogger byRAN, @ 1:27 PM, octobre 09, 2005  

Yeah, man. Still gonna do Economics in Singapore.

The pirated Magic the Gathering was my idea haha... We got sick of everything getting confiscated and returned (and having to raid the staff room to retrieve some of the rarer and thus more expensive cards) like three times in that one year alone, so I thought, let's play with them in paper form openly and if the teachers wanna confiscate, we'll just make a new set! Haha! In your face, you conservative buggers!

And the pisang goreng... *groan* We used to "mabuk pisang" (get intoxicated with bananas) on selected days. What we did was to buy RM1 worth of pisang for each person in our gang... that means the tauke kantin was earning like RM10+ each time. Still wondering how the pisang vanished?

Those were days haha.

Anonymous Anonyme, @ 9:43 PM, octobre 09, 2005  

Brian! Decided to drop by. Yeah I know how it's like, when you compare secondary school and JC. Old friends and new friends are never alike. But that's what makes your life interesting. And yeah all those movies we watched, that was good. Don't forget Dreamship Surprise!

Blogger byRAN, @ 9:49 PM, octobre 09, 2005  

Dreamship Surprise!

Damn gay movie haha.

Poster un Commentaire?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?